Friday, July 27, 2007

Corinto. That was weird...

Children playing on the beach near our hotel.
Corinto is in the northwest corner of Nicaragua in the department of Chinandega. It is actually an island linked to the mainland by a small bridge and an isolated road for the freight trucks carrying cargo to the port. To us, the town was a cross between Bluefields and Granada - a funny little combination. The whole area is part of a beautiful e
stuary which we happened to travel through extensively (in a tiny and totally inadequate Suzuki Alto) due to bad researching. We didn't see any other tourists while we were there and I was told approximately 10 times by very kind citizens that I was likely to be robbed and attacked while Eric was working and I was by myself on the beach. I stayed close to the restaurants so they could keep an eye on me although I didn't feel threatened for one minute.
We originally went up north so Eric could cover a US Navy Medical Ship that was stationed off the coast to perform surgeries. Here is Eric's story on the medical ship.
We traveled to a really high end hotel that essentially services people with yachts. It was very hard to get to over land. I watched an amazing sunrise the day we had to leave since we were forced to leave at 5 am to make it home before dark!

No comments: